Most Reverend John R. Keating, D.D., J.C.D., S.T.L. (1983-1998)
Bishop Keating was born on July 20, 1934 in Chicago, Illinois. He was educated at Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary in Chicago for high school, after which he studied at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein, Illinois and then the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, earning a Licentiate of
Sacred Theology in 1959 after being ordained a priest on December 20, 1958.
Two years later, he was sent to study canon law at the Gregorian and earned a doctorate in canon law in 1963. After returning to Chicago, then-Father Keating served as parochial vicar in several parishes, as well as assistant chancellor
of the Archdiocese of Chicago, co-chancellor for priest personnel, and a member of the clergy personnel board of the Archdiocese.
Later, he served as vicar general and chancellor of the Archdiocese. On June 7, 1983, he was appointed the second Bishop of Arlington by Pope John Paul II and was consecrated on August 4
that year. Bishop Keating served as the Shepherd of Arlington until his death on March 22, 1998.