Meet bishop loverde
"And knowing everything I know, I'd be a priest all over again in a heartbeat. It's a tremendously fulfilling vocation, and I thank God for calling me."
--Bishop Loverde, 40th Priestly Anniversary Mass
- Bishop Loverde's parents valued Catholic education and sent him to Catholic schools in Pawcatuck, Connecticut, and then La Salle Academy in Providence, Rhode Island.
- The Lord called Bishop Loverde to the priesthood at an early age. He received his B.A., summa cum laude, from Saint Bernard Seminary College, Rochester, New York, and also studied in Rome, Italy, for his Licentiate in Sacred Theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University in 1966.
- Bishop Loverde furthered his education at Catholic University in Washington, DC, earning his Licentiate (JCL) in Canon Law in 1982.
from priest to bishop
- Bishop Loverde was ordained a priest for service in the Diocese of Norwich on December 18, 1965, in the Basilica of Saint Peter, Rome, and then served in a variety of assignments both on the parochial and diocesan levels.
- On April 12, 1988, he was ordained an Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Hartford. On January 17, 1994, he was installed as the eleventh Bishop of Ogdensburg, New York.
Bishop of Arlington
- When he was installed as the third Bishop of Arlington on March 25, 1999, Bishop Loverde established four primary goals for our Diocese: evangelization, unity, reconciliation and service.
- Working toward his original goals, Bishop has helped the Diocese focus on education, charity and addressing the multicultural needs of our area.
- He served as Chairman of the Bishops' Committee on Vocations from 1995 to 1998 and was a member of the Bishops' Administrative Committee from 2004 to 2008.
- Bishop Loverde has served on the Board of Directors for Christ the King Seminary, East Aurora, New York, Mount Saint Mary's College and Seminary, Emmittsburg, Maryland.
- Currently, he is serving on the boards of: The Institute for the Psychological Sciences, Arlington, Virginia; The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC; The Catholic Distance University (CDU) in Hamilton, Virginia, since 2003; and also at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, DC.
Bishop Loverde's Confirmation schedule for Spring 2013 - click here
Click here for an explanation of Bishop Loverde's Coat of Arms.