victim assistance frequently asked questions

    If you've been sexually exploited or abused by a priest, brother, sister or lay person employed by the Diocese of Arlington or by a church volunteer in service to a parish or school or other church organization, we want to help you.

    We realize that bringing a misconduct complaint to authorities and/or to the Diocese of Arlington can be a frightening experience and we want to make the process as safe and as comfortable as possible. We promise to be open and respectful of your complaint.

    Catholic Diocese of Arlington

    Who can I call in the Diocese of Arlington to report that I was sexually abused by someone in the Church?

    Diocesan Victim Assistance Coordinators:

    Patricia Mudd 703-841-2537

    Rosa Colello 703-841-2579 (Eng/Span)

    Aneliz Sipe 703-841-2530 (Eng/Span)

    Please keep in mind that the Diocese of Arlington is required by law and the diocesan child protection policy to report the abuse of a minor to the proper authorities. The State of Virginia Child Protective Services’ 24-hour toll-free statewide hotline is 800-552-7096. Contact information for local Departments of Social Services in Virginia, and contact numbers for Washington, D.C., and military bases can be found in our Policy on the Protection of Children/Young
    People and Prevention of Sexual Misconduct and/or Child Abuse, online at


    Will my call be confidential?


    What can I expect to happen if I report being sexually abused?

    The Victim Assistance Coordinator will take the information about the abuse, offer personal counseling and will ask your permission to advise church officials, specifically the Moderator of the Curia, about your complaint.

    I was abused as a child in another state. Can anyone in the Diocese of Arlington help me to get counseling?

    Yes. We can also help you bring your complaint to church officials outside the Diocese of Arlington if the abuse occurred in another diocese or church jurisdiction and you now reside within the Diocese of Arlington.

    I was sexually abused by my teacher at a Catholic school years ago. Will the Church pay for counseling?

    Yes. The Church will offer assistance in cases of abuse by any church employee or volunteer.

    I would like to talk to Bishop Loverde to be sure he knows I was abused and how it has affected me.
    Will he talk to me?

    Yes. Bishop Loverde is willing to meet personally with victims of sexual abuse.

    What kind of spiritual assistance is available to those who were abused by clergy?

    Priests of the diocese are available for spiritual assistance and counseling. The diocese has offered and will continue to offer Masses for the Healing of victims of sexual abuse (dates are posted online).