Saint James Catholic Church celebrates 125 years



FALLS CHURCH, Va. – Saint James Catholic Church will celebrate its 125th year Sunday, May 21, 2017 during a noon Mass, with a reception immediately following in the Joseph Knecht gym.  The Most Reverend Michael F. Burbidge, Bishop of Arlington, will celebrate the Mass.  

The Very Reverend Patrick Posey, Pastor of Saint James Catholic Church since 2006, says he has always felt blessed to serve the people of Saint James.  “To be here, to stand at the altar that has been the spiritual focal-point for generations, is very humbling.  I stand on the shoulders of the priests, religious and all those who continue our Easter refrain: “This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad.”


When:                       Sunday, May 21, 2017
                                  12 noon

Where:                     Saint James Catholic Church
                                  905 Park Avenue, Falls Church


It is the 6th oldest parish in the Catholic Diocese of Arlington.  The original wood-frame structure was built on property on modern day West and Fowler streets, the site of the current cemetery. (Click here to see the early church in 1892)

­ In 1902, the current stone church was constructed at its present location.  (Click here to see the early stone church). 

­The parish’s ecumenical ties within the community run deep, beginning in the early days of the last century when, under the new construction of the stone church, a stained glass window which hung in the original frame church was given to Columbia Baptist, where it hangs today in their baptistery.  (Click here to see the stained glass).

Father Edward Tierney was the first pastor. He is responsible for building the school in 1906.  (Click here to see a photo of Father Tierney).

­ Father Edward Mullarkey, pastor in 1944, used War bonds he received for his 25th ordination jubilee as seed money to expand the school.  (Click here to see a photo of Father Mullarkey).

­ ­The Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) have been with Saint James Parish for 94 years –uninterrupted. (Click here to see a photo of the sisters in 1942).