What kind of Spiritual Assistance is available to those who were abused by clergy?

Priests, women religious, and a lay woman are available to provide spiritual assistance and guidance. The diocese has offered and will continue to offer Masses for the Healing of victims/survivors of sexual abuse, prayer services, and an annual spiritual retreat.  

Will the Church pay for counseling for someone who was abused by a teacher many years ago?

Yes. The Church will offer assistance in cases of abuse by any church employee or volunteer.

If someone was abused as a child in another state, can anyone in the Diocese of Arlington help him or her receive counseling?

Yes. We can also help you bring your complaint to church officials outside the Diocese of Arlington if the abuse occurred in another diocese or church jurisdiction and you now reside within the Diocese of Arlington.

Are calls to the Office of Victim Assistance confidential?

Yes. Information provided is not shared with others outside of the Chancery.  The Victim Assistance Coordinator works with the Bishop and his senior staff to ensure cases are resolved, protecting at all times as much as possible the privacy of persons who come forward with allegations.

Please keep in mind that the Diocese of Arlington is required by law and the diocesan child protection policy to report the abuse of a minor to the proper authorities. The State of Virginia Child Protective Services' 24-hour toll-free statewide hotline is 800-552-7096.